Go beyond the classic hot toddy with these warm winter cocktails
By Stephanie Burt
(Originally published in Oxford Magazine)
Since the season is short, it’s natural to stick to what we know: the classic hot toddy of bourbon with honey and lemon. It’s a classic for a reason, and a delicious way to celebrate good friends and good times (and for some, even to combat a cold). But there is a world beyond the beloved brown liquor when it comes to toasty beverages.
Mexican Hot Mocha
1 packet Ghirardelli hot chocolate cocoa mix
4 ounces hot water
1 ounce Ancho Reyes
1 ounce espresso vodka
Large marshmallow and cinnamon stick for garnish
1. Empty hot chocolate packet into a mug and add water, stirring continuously until all is dissolved (it will be a little thick).
2. Add liquors and stir to incorporate.
3. Garnish with large marshmallow and cinnamon stick. Use the stick as a swizzle stick or a makeshift straw and enjoy.
Pukka Three Ginger Tea
2 ounces apple brandy
4 dashes Angostura Bitters
Spiked orange wedge for garnish
1. Make tea.
2. Pour brandy and bitters into the bottom of a warm mug, then add tea and stir.
3. Serve with an orange wedge spiked with cloves for garnish.
Hot Dr. Pepper
6 ounces Dr. Pepper soda, warmed
2 ounces Appleton rum
1. Warm Dr. Pepper on stove until hot but not boiling.
2. Pour rum into bottom of mug, then top with soda.
3. Garnish with a floating lemon wheel.