Mississippi appears to have broken watermelon-eating world record
Published 10:21 am Tuesday, August 6, 2019
- Contestants get ready to participate in a watermelon eating contest during the 50th annual Watermelon Carnival in Water Valley, Miss. on Saturday, August 3, 2019. Water Valley has unofficially broken the Guinness World Records mark for the Largest Watermelon-Eating Contest with 754 participants competing simultaneously, beating the record set last year in Safety Harbor, Fla, which had 259 participants. The evidence will be submitted to Guinness World Records for validation. (Bruce Newman, Oxford Eagle)
Eubanks and her team have up to a year to send in their evidence, but she said she anticipates sending the results within the next 60 days.
Getting official word that Water Valley is now the king of eating watermelon could still take up to a year. Regardless of whether the record stands or is broken by another group, Eubanks said she and the other organizers are prepared to reclaim the crown if need be in the near future.
“We hope to hold onto (the record) for a while, but now that we’ve done it, we know how to do it and what to change and worked best and what worked better,” Eubanks said. “If they beat us in five years, I think we can get our thousand people if it doesn’t rain.”